MEXT stands for "Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan"(文部科学省: Monbu Kagakusho).
JASSO stands for "Japan Student Services Organization"（日本学生支援機構：Nihon Gakusei Shien Kikou)
Honors Scholarship is for privately-financed students who hold a visa status of "Student".
The amount of the scholarship is 48,000yen per month within one academic year(April / October to March next year).
The scholarship is funded by the Government of Japan and offered by Japan Student Services Organization*. The following information could be altered without prior notice by the organization. *JASSO (http://www.jasso.go.jp/scholarship/shoureihi.html)(only in Japanese)
Japanese Government Scholarship(国費外国人留学生: Kokuhi Gaikokujin Ryugakusei) for Graduate Students
NOTE: Application for ICU Graduate School in 2017 was closed. Please read the following to information for 2017 Goukakusha(student accepted) or for future reference.
MEXT offers the scholarship in AY2017 for Graduate School students of International Christian University on the Top Global University Project in Japan. If you are eligible to apply, please follow the guidelines and submit your application for the MEXT Scholarship to the Student Affairs Group.
Guidelines of Application for Japanese Government Scholarship for September Entrants in 2017
The following guidelines are extracts from the guidelines by MEXT which are modified by ICU for the applicants in 2017. Please refer to the official letter in Japanese from MEXT. The guidelines are subject to change without prior notice.
I. Qualifications and Condition
1. Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
Priorities will be given to applicants from the following areas and countries: Southeastern and Southwestern Asia, Mongolia, Russia and
CIS countries, Middle-East, Africa, USA, South America, Middle and Eastern Europe
2. Age: Applicants generally must have been born on or after April 2, 1982.
3. Academic Background: Applicants must have made superlative academic achievements and start Master’s Course study at ICU in
September 1, 2017.
4. Applicants must have a grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 3.0 scale* in the last year of study.
*Grade point average should be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
5. Health: Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would impede the pursuit of study at ICU Graduate School.
6. Visa Requirement: Applicants must have a “Student” (Ryuugaku: 留学) resident status in Japan as of September 1, 2017.
7. Others: After returning to the home country, former scholarship recipients shall maintain close contact with ICU, cooperate with the
conducting of post-return survey questionnaire, participate in events conducted by Japanese diplomatic missions in their country, and work to
improve relations between the home country and Japan.
8. Any applicant who meets any or all of the following conditions is ineligible. If identified after the start of the scholarship period, the
applicant will be required to withdraw from the scholarship.
(1) Those who are military personnel or military civilian employees at the time of their arrival in Japan;
(2) Those who cannot arrive in Japan during the period designated by ICU;
(3) Recipients of scholarships from institutions other than MEXT (including government institutions in their home countries) that overlap with
the MEXT scholarship (Prospective beneficiaries are included).
II Period of Scholarship
The monthly allowance will be paid from October 2017 to March 2018: Six(6) months.
NOTE: (1) The first payment will be made late October. The initial expenses occur in the first months in Japan will be the grantees’
responsibility. (2) Grantee must apply for the period extension if he/she desires to receive the scholarship from April 2018.
III Scholarship Benefits
1. Allowance: 147,000yen per month
2. Tuition: Matriculation Fee, Tuition and Facilities fees for 2(two) terms from Fall and Winter Terms of AY2017.
NOTE: No travelling cost will be covered by the scholarship.
IV Number of Recipients
Up to 2(two)
V Application Procedures
1. Applicant must download the application forms at the bottom of this page as designated by MEXT.
2. Applicant must submit the completed application forms and a letter of recommendation by an academic advisor by the application due date.
3. ICU will notify the applicant of results on the first screening for the MEXT scholarship. ICU will forward the scholarship application of the
nominee to MEXT late June.
4. MEXT will make a final decision and notify ICU the results of the scholarship application early August, 2017. ICU will notify the applicants of
the final decision on the scholarship application by the end of August.
5. Grantee will receive the first monthly stipend late October after enrolment in ICU.
(1) Recipients must follow the regulations enforced by MEXT and administered by ICU. Recipients are required to withdraw from the
scholarship if they fail to follow the regulations. More guidelines and rules on the scholarship will be provided to grantees after the enrollment in the graduate school. (2) Application documents will not be returned to the applicant on any condition.